Okay, do NOT get me started on clothing topics. I am addicted! Whenever I go shopping, I always seem to find something I WANT. But sometimes, having too much isn’t always great. I mean, I buy something, wear it once or twice, decide I do not feel like wearing it anymore and it just makes my closet look full. And that’s where this post gets real. Going to discuss why one needs a capsule wardrobe, including myself!
Capsule Wardrobes are great for the ‘No Stress’ daily routine of getting ready in the morning. Nowadays, sustainable closets are the way to go.
Sometimes, I can look in my closet for hours, literally staring into space at ALL the clothing I have. Yet, I feel there is nothing for me to wear.
All I feel is being so overwhelmed with the amount of clothing I have, but nothing to wear. Serious struggle. That is why I am deciding on creating my own capsule wardrobe for a more sustainable closet and going to share with you how I am going to do it!
Now keep in mind: each of us has our own unique body type, so a capsule wardrobe will vary differently from one person to the next. Not to mention, we each have our own styles and things we like to wear often. Figuring out your capsule wardrobe is the first step to having a stress free relationship with your closet. And yes, at the beginning it may be messy, and I am VERY SURE my closet will look like a bomb hit it, but the end result will make you feel so accomplished and like you actually have things to wear!
So what is a Capsule Wardrobe exactly? It’s basically a collection of clothing and accessories that include essential items and normally consist of around 24-37 items in all – but will vary for each person.
So why create your own Capsule Wardrobe? It reduces decision making. How often do you stare at your clothes in your closet (I know I do!) with frustration and feel overwhelmed with all you have, yet feel like there is nothing to wear? So with a capsule wardrobe, you create less options, but options that fit your style and in turn, not have to go through the ongoing daily cycle of hard decision making of what to wear. You just wear what you love on the daily. This also gives you more time to do other things in the morning and reduces the stress and mental energy/fatigue from always trying to figure out what you want to wear.
First Steps to Creating your Capsule Wardrobe:
- Lay out every single item you have in your closet – this means shoes, clothing, accessories, EVERYTHING. Pay attention to all those pieces – how much you’ve spent, how often you wear it etc. Trust me, it is going to be very stressful and messy, but the end result will be great!
- Now sort through them. Make different piles. BIGGEST tip – do not think too hard about each item when deciding which pile to put it into. Go with your first reaction because they always say your first reaction is the one you should go with. Some ideas of piles can be Love, Maybe, Donate, Trash and so on. After going through everything and putting them in their pile – whatever is trash or donate, stick them into garbage bags. Throw out the trash ones and donate ones put in your car to give to a local Goodwill or other donation service.
- You are left with a couple, or a few piles at most to sort through again. For the Maybe pile, have a try on session. Ask yourself “would I buy this at the store today?” If anything is a NO, put it straight into another “Donate” pile and ASAP. No waiting or contemplating!
Sooooo, now you are left with your Love/Keep (or whatever you name it) pile. With this pile, start separating the items into different categories – Clothing, Shoes, Jewelry, Accessories, etc. Below is how I would separate mine into 15 main items:
- Jean skirts
- Long Sleeve tops
- Sweater (knit)
- Black Evening Skirt
- Denim Jacket
- Heels (not many as I don’t wear them often)
- My wedding/ring bands (and anything expensive from the Hubby lol)
- Some necklaces for layering
These would be my main 15 items. And lets say there is between 24-37 items in a complete wardrobe, I have space to add more items – which obviously I would as I need variety LOL. Add the extra items where you feel necessary. For me, it would be skirts and tops and maybe more sneakers. Accessories and jewelry isn’t big for me at all and I can go without it.
Right now, you may be asking yourself “Well, what about the Love items that didn’t make the 24-37 items in my capsule wardrobe? Do I get rid of them?” No, you don’t! Maybe put these items aside or find a place in your closet for them. Sometimes, a little separation is good because when you re-visit them in a few months or so, you may feel differently about them and not want them any longer.
After your Capsule Wardrobe is created, you may start feeling less stressed when it comes to getting dressed on the daily! Trust me, I myself need the less stress part LOL! As much as many of you, including myself love shopping and clothes, sometimes we need to take it down a notch (as hard as it is for me to say). Because reality is, most of what we buy won’t be so beneficial, especially if we are only wearing it once or twice.