We’ve all been there. Feeling our lowest. Sad. Unable to think straight or function. Just know, it’s ‘normal’ in a sense that everyone goes through it and that you’re not alone. Feeling down can be as simple as not getting something right on the first try to arguing with a loved one to anxiety and depression. But we don’t need to continue going about our day feeling low. Instead, we should work on having a positive outlook as much as we can (yup, easier said than done, but it is doable!)
For me, my health related anxiety is what gets the best of me. I can feel amazing and in control one day and then the next, it just feels like I have nothing to live for. In the beginning when this would happen I let it get to me and didn’t try to fight it off. I just let it in and let it take over my body, my family, my daily activities and more. I realized this was not healthy and I needed to do something and that’s by working on uplifting myself.
Now, don’t go thinking there are people out in the world with perfect lives and perfect everything and that nothing ever goes wrong for them. NEWS FLASH: that ain’t true and there is no such thing as one having a perfect life. Sorry I had to break it to you. No matter how happy one may seem to you, you’re only seeing a small part of their life. You don’t know what battles they have behind closed doors.
Of course we have days where it starts off amazing and then POOF! It just all disappears. It’s like the day did a 180. Maybe you argued with someone or burnt dinner. Hell, maybe you didn’t get to make your daily Starbucks run like me LOL. Whatever it may be, it happens and it sucks that all of a sudden, your good day turned to the shits.
We all have things that upset us and we let it ruin our day. We should try to NOT let it ruin our day. That’s hard of course in the beginning, but slowly with the right mindset, bad shit that may happen won’t get the best of us. Always having a positive outlook is the way to go.
My mom always says “everything happens for a reason, but we just don’t know the reason why.” This is one positive outlook. There are reasons for everything. Beyond our control or understanding. But things just happen. And sometimes it can take days, weeks, months or even years to realize why what happened did.
Simple Tips to Overcoming Crappy Days and Uplifting Yourself
- Wake up Early ~ Yup, you heard right. Sometimes just a simple thing such as starting your day early can make you feel more positive and able to conquer your day. Make sure to let in all the bright Vitamin D (sunlight) as you can. Waking up early gives you more hours in the day to get things done on your to-do list. Okay, of course there are days you’ll be exhausted and not want to get up. But I can assure you that forcing yourself out of bed and being productive WILL help uplift your spirits!
- Go out and do something! ~ Try to not just sit around on your couch and not do anything. Why? Because doing nothing gets your mind going and not going about good things. Many times it’s anxious thoughts. Those can ruin your days for sure! Instead, get dressed and get out. Even if that means walk around the neighborhood or sit at a local coffee shop or book store. It doesn’t need to be for the entire day but just for a couple hours.
- Do a good Deed! ~ Yes! Sometimes doing something for someone else helps uplift yourself. It makes you feel good about yourself as you made someone else feel good. It’s literally a feeling of accomplishment. This can be from paying for someone’s order behind you in a car line to as simple as holding the door open for someone. Even just a smile!
- Play Upbeat Music ~ I know for me music is what gets me going. Not slow and sad music. More dancing type music. Something that will get you up and moving. Good beats can bring up your mood for sure!
- Think of the Positive things in your Life ~ Just as you read that. Think of all the good things you got going for you in your life. Don’t say there isn’t anything because I’m sure if you think deep enough you’ll get a list going. Try not to stress on the negativity (as much as we naturally do that). Our brains have a huge affect on us and the way we think affects us greatly! If it helps, make a list of all the positives and keep it hanging on your fridge.
- Exercise ~ We all know that exercising helps our moods. For me, I like Zumba. The other stuff is boring LOL. But find an exercise routine you enjoy and try to do it a couple/few times a week. Exercise is known to ease anxiety etc, so what better way than to exercise your way through feeling good!
- Spend time with Family and Friends ~ I know for me when I’m down, I automatically call my sister or my mom. Whether it’s to chat or to go out, I just feel better when I’m around them and forget about all my negative thoughts. So when you’re feeling low, call a family member or friend or go out. Trust me, this will make you feel human again!
- Do something you enjoy and motivates you ~ For instance, blogging and Instagram is what motivates me. I know that sounds weird, but it is something I enjoy. I love posting content and sharing things with others. Just taking photos to post is enjoyable. So find something you enjoy (hobby) and start pursuing it if you haven’t already.
- Retail Therapy ~ YES! This is what uplifts me and I’m sure will for others as well. Sometimes all one needs is something new in their life and a little retail therapy won’t hurt. Get that new shirt or shoes or even new working desk. New things, new mood. Good mood!
So there you have it. A list of things to help uplift yourself when feeling down. The above is tried and true for me and I am sure will help others looking for ways to uplift themselves. Just know you’re not alone in this. I can assure you everyone goes through tough times. It sucks. But we are all strong and can conquer it and be in control of our LIVES!
Save for later, PIN IT!