Being a mom and working during the day often means I don’t get much time for myself. Here’s a quick breakdown of how my days look:
- Alarm goes off at 6:30 am.
- Get up and get the girls ready to be sent off to school.
- Get myself ready.
- Leave to Starbucks around 8:15 am and work on blog/social media until around 9:30 am.
- Head to the office – yes, I am a secretary.
- Leave work at 3:00 pm to pick up my girls from school.
- Arriving home at 4:15 pm, attempt to get the girls to do homework
- Make dinner, if I’m in the mood for something fancy. If not, easy dinners it is LOL.
- Get kids bathed/showered – this is a hard one!
- Feed the kids dinner and make sure they eat it.
- Put kids in bed around 8:00 pm if they listen and go to bed on time.
**EDIT 8/27/2020: I now have a baby as well, so my daily schedule has changed a bit. Or a lot LOL. I’m sure you get the gist!
Now, from the time the kids are in bed around 8:00 pm, there is no way to know when they will actually fall asleep. My oldest likes to read in bed for a while and my youngest, well lets just say she likes to talk and doesn’t stop. So I have to wait until both girls are actually asleep so that I can finally relax. And on my not so lucky nights, they are arguing in their beds and it annoys the HELL out of me!
At the end of the day and after all of the above, most of my energy is simply put, GONE. Moms as well as anyone who works hard needs to re-charge at some point. Because without re-charging, tons of stress builds and piles up and it’s not a healthy lifestyle. That is why “Me Time” is needed. And no, it is not a selfish thing to do, so don’t let others tell you otherwise. They’re just jealous LOL. We are all human beings and need our breaks. Think of it this way: without relaxing and re-charging by having “Me Time”, how are we supposed to have the energy to continue what we are doing day in and day out?
Below I am going to list ‘Me Time’ Indulgences – the not free ones and the free ones.
Not so free ‘Me Time’:
- Retail Therapy – Even alone!! Not only does walking around when shopping and browsing the stores reduce stress, but by buying something new helps a person feel good about themselves. Now, I am not talking about splurging. Just go for fun, walk around the mall, shops, etc. And if you happen to stumble across something you like and need (or want), go for it!
- Mani’s and Pedi’s – Do one or both! But seriously, just sitting in the salon getting your nails done is great in relieving stress. Think of it as a massage (and that can be a ‘Me Time” Indulgence if you love massages!) Plus, it makes you feel like a whole new person when you walk out with freshly done nails.
- Dinner Date – Whether it be with your significant other or a friend! Getting out is great, and eating is even better LOL.
Free ‘Me Time’:
- Get Crafty at Home – Find anything lying around like mason jars and decorate it with crafts you may have at home. I am sure if you have kids, your kids have something you can use to decorate it. I find that doing some art, even drawing helps my mind relax. It is definitely therapeutic.
- Netflix, Shows, Movies – I know I love binge watching new TV shows or shows I haven’t seen in a while. After my girls are in bed, I hop right in the shower, get ready for bed and then lay in bed watching my shows. It helps me relax before retiring at night.
- Do your own nails! – Seriously, why not?
- Read – Okay, I am not one who loves reading, but if you’re a reader, grab a book, a coffee or tea, maybe even a yummy cookie and chill on the couch wearing your comfy pajamas and read away.
- Friends – I find chilling with a friend (or even a family member you are close to) and chatting helps relax!
- Exercise – I am lazy for this one, but if you have the time to exercise like taking walks or doing some in home routines, go for it! Exercise is known to be great for those with stress and even anxiety. This includes turning up the music and dancing away!
- Blogging – This is totally for me! Sometimes when the girls are in bed, I love to sit on my bed and write up blog posts. Its like journal writing. If you like writing, maybe start your own journal, or even a blog!
But seriously, having ‘Me Time’ here and there is healthy for you! In order for one to keep moving with their daily lives and tasks, they need to make sure to also take the time to settle down and relax by doing things for themselves and not just for everyone else around them. Of course, free time is not easy to achieve. This is not a daily indulgence. But once or twice a week is all that is needed. Even if it is one of the “free” ones and you do it before going to sleep.
3 replies on “Favorite ‘Me Time’ Indulgences”